Frequently Asked Questions

What does the acronym FUDS mean?
FUDS stands for Formerly Used Defense Site. Return to Top
When did the military use the site and what occurred there?

On Nov. 4, 1940, the War Department announced that a new training center would be located in Spartanburg County, South Carolina. Camp Croft Infantry Replacement Training Center (IRTC) was officially activated on Jan. 10, 1941, with housing for 20,000 trainees and support personnel. Camp Croft IRTC consisted of two general areas: a series of firing ranges and a troop housing area with attached administrative headquarters. Camp Croft IRTC served as one of the Army’s principal IRTCs where approximately 250,000 Soldiers were trained. Camp Croft was also a prisoner of war camp during World War II. The installation was declared surplus to the Army’s needs in November 1946 and excised to the War Assets Administration in 1947.

Return to Top
What military munitions were used at the site?
The former Camp Croft was used for a variety of different purposes. It had at least 11 live ammunition-training ranges used for small arms ammunition, anti-tank rockets, anti-aircraft artillery, 60 millimeter (mm) infantry mortars, and 81 mm infantry mortars. The training range impact areas comprised a total of 16,929 acres. Return to Top
Why is the Corps involved?
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers manages the Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) Program. In 1986, Congress established the FUDS Program to clean up properties that were owned, leased, possessed or used by the Army, Navy, Air Force or other Defense agencies prior to October 1986. Return to Top
What will the Corps do?
The US Army Corps of Engineers manages the Camp Croft FUDS project. The district has worked with other Corps offices to research the military history of the site. There have been activities to characterize the risk from remaining MEC as well as cleanup of several areas. Characterization efforts continue, and appropriate response actions are implemented. Documentation of investigations and response actions are available for public review at the Spartanburg County Public Library and the Camp Croft website. Return to Top
What should I know about munitions and explosives of concern (MEC) to keep my family safe?
MEC, regardless of condition and age, can be very dangerous. People who find something that might be a MEC item should mark the location and call 911. People should never touch, move or disturb the item in any way. The Corps encourages parents to educate their children about MEC safety. You can download the UXO Safety Fact Sheet. Return to Top
What government agencies are involved with this site?

The US Army Corps of Engineers is working closely with the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.

Return to Top
I've heard the Corps can't clean up MEC from under my home. What danger exists from it remaining in the ground below my house?

Unexploded ordnance (UXO) is only dangerous if disturbed. Any UXO items under rigid structures such as concrete slabs, sidewalks, asphalt roadways, etc., are generally safe from disturbance and will remain stable. UXO is generally safe until some type of direct contact is initiated with it.

Return to Top
How do I find out if property I want to purchase was once owned by the military?
Previous military ownership is usually identified in a title search. Other sources of information include the local library, government archives and older residents who live in an area. Return to Top
How do I keep informed about what the Corps is doing?

Public involvement is an important part of the Corps’ FUDS Program. The Corps may host public meetings, distribute news releases, print public notices in the newspaper, host a website, mail fact sheets and other information to interested citizens, and establish a Restoration Advisory Board.

To receive mailings, you can request to be added to the former Camp Croft project mailing list by sending an email to [email protected]. Be sure to include your full name and mailing address. You may also give your daytime and evening phone numbers and email address. You can be removed from the mailing list at any time by emailing [email protected].

A Restoration Advisory Board, or RAB, is made up of interested community members who reflect the diverse interests of the local community, as well as representatives of state, local and federal agencies. A RAB is designed to serve as a focal point for the exchange of information between the Corps and the community. If you are interested in participating in a RAB for this site complete the Community Interest Form.

In addition, the Corps has documents related to the Camp Croft FUDS project that are available to the public. The information repository for these documents is the Spartanburg County Public Library, 151 N. Church Street, Spartanburg, SC.

Return to Top
I understand that when the Corps studies or cleans up the site, they'll need access to my land. Do I have to be home to let the Corps on my property? What if I don't want the Corps on my property?

The Corps and/or its contractors will not enter any individual’s property without written consent (called a “right-of-entry”). If a property owner signs a right-of-entry agreement, he/she does not have to be home when the Corps and/or its contractors do their work. (Depending on the type of work, sometimes the property owner cannot be home to ensure his/her safety.) If a property owner refuses to sign a right-of-entry, the Corps will not enter the land.

If you sign a right-of-entry and later change your mind about allowing the Corps access to your property, simply inform the Corps of your decision to disallow entry. The Corps’ employees and/or contractors will leave if they are already present when notified of your change of mind.

Return to Top
What about property values?
The Corps is not authorized to study property values associated with FUDS properties. Return to Top
How will MEC remaining in the ground affect lead levels?
The body of one version of the MK 23 miniature practice bomb was made of lead, but such a large piece of lead is unable to leach significant quantities of metal into the ground. The leaching ability of a metal is directly proportional to its surface area (i.e., the larger the surface area, the more leaching.) Because surface area is indirectly proportional to particle size (i.e., the smaller the particle size for a given weight of metal, the more surface area), a large “particle” of lead, such as a practice bomb body, has virtually no leaching ability. (In contrast, a similar amount of lead in powdered form has a much larger leaching capacity because the particle size is smaller and the surface area is larger.) Return to Top